Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The “Be” verb (A4)

Objective: Construct sentences using the verb “am”. A verb is an action or state word. Today we will look at state verbs. State verbs do not tell us what somebody does. They tell us the state or condition somebody is in. Therefore, a state verb is a word that tells us the state or condition somebody is in. The “be verbs” are state verbs. There are five be verbs: am, is, are, was and were. In this post we will look at the verb “am”. What would you like to become in the future? We can make a very long list: a teacher, a pilot, a doctor, a musician, an actor, an athlete, a footballer, a farmer, a journalist, a mechanic etc. Now each of these people can tell us who they are using the verb am. 1) I am a teacher. 2) I am a pilot. 3) I am a doctor. 4) I am a musician. 5) I am an actor. 6) I am an athlete. 7) I am a footballer. 8) I am a farmer. 9) I am a journalist. 10) I am a mechanic. 11) I am a pupil. The verb am can also be used to tell us how you feel or what condition you are in e.g. ill, happy, sad, angry, clean, dirty, hungry, satisfied, thirsty tired etc. 1) I am ill. 2) I am happy. 3) I am sad. 4) I am angry. 5) I am clean. 6) I am dirty. 7) I am hungry. 8) I am satisfied. 9) I am thirsty. 10) I am tired. The verb “am” is also used as a helping verb. In other words it is used alongside another verb. In this way we are able to construct the present continuous aspect. We will make a list of verbs in the –ing form: sitting, walking, writing, running, jumping, eating, reading, playing, sleeping, resting etc. 1) I am sitting. 2) I am walking. 3) I am writing. 4) I am running. 5) I am jumping. 6) I am eating. 7) I am reading. 8) I am playing. 9) I am sleeping. 10) I am resting. We have looked at three ways of using the verb “am”. Now make three sentences from each section. In the next post we shall look at question tags with the verb “am”.

No comments:

Post a Comment