Saturday, December 8, 2012

Mama, mimi ni mtoto wako wa ngapi?- English translation

Linda, this question has been around for sometime. Well the danger lies in an attempt at direct translation. The grammars of the two languages (Kiswahili and English) are very different. Therefore, to translate that thought into English would require that you first understand the message. The message presumes that there are many children in this family to the extent that this child is baffled, a very unlikely scenario. Be that as it may, the child is therefore dealing with births (the time in which they were born) and the order in which they happened. The other important thing to note is that this statement is in direct speech: the child is addressing its mother. With this information in mind it is now possible to do a translation: “Mother, what is my order of birth among your children?”

27 comments:

  1. We could place it as "What is the position of my birth among your children, mother?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother, which position am i among your children?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother, which position am i among your children?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mother which position am i among your children?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enter your comment...Mother,what is my birth order?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mother what is my order of birth among your children

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mum, which position am I among your children?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mother, what's my merit of birth?

    ReplyDelete
  10. what is my order of birth among your children?” I think this is the best

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mum, which birth rank am i among your children?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mother, numerically in your birth calibration which number do I poses?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mother what born am I?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mother, how many children am I?

    ReplyDelete
  15. ๐‘€๐‘œ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘–๐‘› ๐‘คโ„Ž๐‘–๐‘โ„Ž ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘”๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘‘๐‘œ ๐‘– ๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ ๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘‘๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘š๐‘–๐‘™๐‘ฆ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete